Wednesday, September 21, 2016

WRITERLY WEDNESDAY PICTURE PROMPT - GLASS CAGES




GLASS CAGES


The manager led me around the office floor I’d work on should they hire me.

“We love open floor plans with glass walls. Less claustophic for our employees, and the glass reflects natural light. Small areas look  bigger.”

As she prattled on about advantages of glass offices, I sorted my thoughts.

The glass separating the desks reminded me of a prison where visitors and inmates talk through glass. The managers’ glass offices afforded them a clear view to study their monkeys every move. Or a hospital ICU where rooms with glass walls are built around  nurses’ stations so they can observe patients. No plants, no pictures, cold and all business. No privacy; everyone can watch you leave to go to the bathroom.

“Thank you so much for considering me for the position but I don’t think this company and I are a good fit.

Walking away, I shuddered.

***
Flash fiction prompt provided by http://www.writerlycorner.com/writerly-prompts/writerly-wednesday-9212016

Visit me on my Facebook Author Page HERE.








No comments: