Monday, May 10, 2010

WHERE AND HOW DO YOU GET INSPIRED TO WRITE?

Welcome to my first blog. I have no idea where it will take us, but welcome along for the ride. I will add links to writing sites, favorite blogs, and contests. Like my writing, this blog is a work in progesss.

While setting up this site and choosing to show you my favourite spot to meditate, write, and daydream, I decided to put this question to you. Where and how do you get inspired to write?

For me, it is nature. Of course, everyday life, people, news, and my own experiences supply the fodder for my stories. But to work out the details and pull it all together, I need nature.

The tranquility of our trout stream does that for me. I won't say quiet because it is never so. The wind whistles through the leaves of the aspen, willow and alder trees lining the water's edge, which are full with a variety of birds, singing their songs. The water flowing over our rock waterfall, gurgles and churns it's way into the still pond, where trout-rainbow, brook, and dolly varden-hit the surface for bugs, creating a slapping sound. This is where I am quiet and become the dreamer.

When I'm in my office at the computer, one look out the window reveals the peaks of the local mountains surrounding our valley village of 650 people. A train traverses across Lime Mountain, sounding his whistle as it descends into the valley below and crosses Kelly Lake Road.

Nature is a part of me. It defines who I am. It stands to reason that mother nature must be a part of my writing. If I get writer's block, a hit of nature sets me straight. We all need something to get us back to our passion. I think it is important to figure out what it is for you.

So, back to you and my question. What does it for you?

6 comments:

NormaJ said...

Very nice set up June. I have become your first
follower. Look forward to seeing your additions to your blog.

Unknown said...

Hi June. Welcome to blogging. I also get inspired by nature. I live in a country estate in a rural costal village in Australia. When we look out our windows, we see cow fields, beautiful woodlands, and hills in the distance. We’re surrounded by kangaroos, ducks, birds, and many other animals. I’m also a member of a wildlife rescue and often get inspired to write stories from my experiences. I love to film and photograph animals in their natural environment and often get inspired by my photos. I also have two beautiful grandkids, who always inspire me.

Marti Norton said...

Hopefully I can post this time.....

I gain a lot of solace from nature. I enjoy sitting by our stocked pond and enjoying the sights and sounds around me... especially at dusk when the frogs begin their song! ANd I love the antics of our ducks. They are so graceful and peaceful. I use nature in my writing, but mostly for building my world and rich descriptions of scenery. On the down side, on the other side of my house is a major highway with all its man-made noises which really interfere with my enjoyment of my pond. My dream is to have acerage far from any highways, deep in the woods, so all I CAN hear is the sounds of nature around me.

Jayde Scott said...

Great to see you blogging too, June. Sounds like a fantastic place where you live. I have concrete walls everywhere around me, but I do try to imagine being somewhere else.
With no nature anywhere around me, music has to do the trick. I put on my headphones, turn on the music full blast and just get on with it. Doesn't sound half as inspiring as your version though :)

June V. Bourgo, Author said...

Thanks for the comments, girls. Jayde, I love music too, even do a little singing. Music can be very inspirational.

Marshmellow said...

Great start, June! Like you, my inspiration comes from nature (and family). When I move into my new home; I plan to put in a gazebo in my back yard by the brook, surrounded by woodland and wildflowers. I shall furnish it with cushi-comfortable chairs and a table with firepit in the center. There I will write and paint- or entertain family and friends with afternoon tea, in my private oasis with the sound of running water, under my beautiful arbutus tree. (Listen to me- I sound like an ad for Better Homes and Gardens) Maybe our resident deer will come for a visit! You have made a great beginning- have fun with it!